Steps to Import Question Bank/Exam Files into Canvas
Both System Administrators and Instructors have the permissions to import question bank/exam files into Canvas once they have activated their subscription. There are two parts to this step: Download Question Banks from the Online Instructor Resources and Upload Question Banks into Canvas.
Download Question Bank/Exam Files from the Online Instructor Resources
- Under the Resources Module, select Online Instructor Resources.
- The Online Instructor Resources will appear. Scroll down and select the Assessment Software & Question Pools section. Note: The Online Instructor Resources will look different than the screen captures below if your copyright edition is prior to 2023. However, the same instructions apply.
- Expand the IMS QTI 1.1 section and select the name of the question type zip folder to download (i.e. Exam Questions, Pretest Questions, Posttest Questions, etc.).
Important: Depending on the copyright year of your product, you may or may not have to upload each question bank one chapter at a time into your Canvas course. Some 2022 copyrights and all 2023 and newer copyrights will not need to be extracted. Some 2022 copyrights and all previous copyrights will need to be extracted and uploaded into Canvas one chapter at a time.
How Will I Know if I Have to Upload the Question Bank Files One Chapter at a Time?
- Right click on the ZIP folder downloaded from the Online Instructor Resources and select Extract All. Select a location for the extracted files.
- If the extracted files look similar to the screen capture below, then you will not need to upload each question bank file one chapter at a time.
- If the extracted files look similar to the screen capture below in which there is one zip folder for each chapter, then you will need to upload each question bank file one chapter at a time.
- Do not extract each chapter zip folder. You will upload each chapter zip folder in your Canvas course.
Upload the Question Bank/Exam Files into Canvas
- Back in Canvas, select course Settings.
- Select Import Course Content.
- Next to Content Type select Qti.zip file.
- Select Choose File and select the Exam ZIP folder downloaded from the Online Instructor Resources (for newer copyrights) or the Chapter 01 ZIP folder extracted from the downloaded ZIP folder (for older copyrights). Then select Import.
Note: If your product requires uploading question bank files one chapter at a time, then repeat that process until all chapter ZIP folders have been uploaded.
- Once all Question Bank/Exam Files have been uploaded, select Quizzes from the course navigation.
- The Question Banks will display one chapter at a time in the Quizzes section.